Berwick Academy • 31 Academy Street • South Berwick, Maine 03908 • 207.384.2164
Berwick Academy’s pre-kindergarten program for three and four year-olds focuses on the social, emotional, physical, and cognitive growth of each child. In a structured yet creative program, students take part in activities that expand their social and cognitive accomplishments. Our students grow socially and emotionally as they are asked to:
- Assume age-appropriate roles and responsibilities
- Connect with students and faculty
- Express their needs, desires, and knowledge
- Engage in unified arts classes
- Enjoy the process of learning while playing
Children’s interests, ideas, encounters, and discoveries propel the curriculum as they explore a particular area of inquiry. The interests of the children drive the curriculum in unique directions while classroom teachers interweave age-appropriate skills into daily learning encounters. Projects can be short or long-term, evolving as children generate new questions and new problems to solve. Learning is a “whole experience,” not necessarily separated by subject areas and time. In Pre-Kindergarten, the teachers work together to formulate hypotheses about the possible directions of a project and materials that might enhance it.
Ultimately, the goal is to challenge children by posing thought-provoking, open-ended questions and experiences, engaging in discussions through which children generate multiple perspectives, and helping children make connections using problem solving and creative thinking skills. Besides a variety of in-class endeavors, the students also participate in varied Unified Arts classes. Program options include:
- Half-day and full-day options - full day students have the option to attend aftercare in the Lower School until 5:15 p.m.
- Two full-time teachers
- Unified Arts classes
- A playground with many varied stations for skill development
Exploring Pre-Kindergarten Video