• Berwick

Q. What fees, after tuition, can I expect to pay?
Tuition does not include transportation costs, books, or backpack supplies (which can vary by grade level), course supplies, laptops (for students in grades 7-12), after-school care, and private music or dance lessons.
 
Q. How do we hold my child’s place after admission?
A tuition deposit of 10% of net-tuition for all families (full pay and financial aid families). Tuition deposits and signed enrollment contracts are required to hold your child's space. 
 
Q. What options are there for payment of tuition?
  • One Payment: 100% of net tuition must be paid by July 31st. Under this plan, the tuition refund plan insurance premium will be paid by the school on your behalf.
  • Two Payments: Two payments are required – 65% of the net tuition by July 31st and the remaining 35% by November 30th.
  • Ten-Payment Plan: Berwick partners with FACTS Management Company to offer ten monthly payment installments.
Q. Should I apply for financial aid?
If you do not believe you can afford the cost of a Berwick education, then yes, please apply for assistance. Last year over 40% of our student body received financial aid.
 
Q. How does the financial aid application process work?
Those interested in applying for financial aid should notify the Admission Office and check the appropriate box on the application. Applications for financial aid students should be submitted on-line (sss.nais.org) as early as possible, but not before November 1st. In order to be considered for the first round of decisions, all paper work must be completed no later than December 15 for returning students and January 15 for new students.
 
Q. What is used to determine if I will I qualify for aid?
Based on your PFS (Parent Financial Statement), the School and Student Service for Financial Aid (SSS) will estimate how much you should be able to contribute toward your child's education. SSS uses a standard calculation which takes into account your income and expenses, assets and liabilities, and family size. Berwick Academy uses this estimate as a guide along with your tax returns to determine your award. Please be aware that each school uses this figure differently based on their budget and their specific enrollment needs.
 
Q. What if we have special circumstances that we feel the financial aid committee should take into consideration?
Any additional information that you would like us to consider should be noted in the comment section on your PFS.
 
Q. Does Berwick Academy give academic, artistic, or athletic scholarships?
No. All financial aid awarded is based on a family’s demonstrated financial need.
  
Q. What if my 2018 tax return is not available by the deadline?
Berwick Academy will be using the prior-prior year taxes, like many colleges this year. Your initial award will be calculated based upon your 2017 taxes. You are required to submit your 2018 taxes and all pertinent schedules by April 30, 2019. All initial awards are subject to change pending 2018 tax verification.
 
Q. If I accept the award, what will my future awards look like?
You must submit a new PFS, tax return, and all pertinent schedules and forms each year. If your income has not changed significantly, your award will be comparable each year. However, it is expected that families will be responsible for annual tuition increases.

Serving Maine, The Seacoast of New Hampshire, and the North Shore of Massachusetts

Berwick Academy, situated on an 80-acre campus just over one hour north of Boston, serves 600 students, Pre-Kindergarten through grade 12, from Massachusetts, New Hampshire, and Maine. Deeply committed to its mission of promoting virtue and useful knowledge, Berwick Academy empowers students to be creative and bold. Berwick strives to graduate alumni who shape their own learning, take risks, ask thoughtful questions, and come to understand and celebrate their authentic selves.  Founded in 1791 and rooted in a tradition of college preparation, our culture of innovation prepares students for a complex and dynamic world.